Monday, January 10, 2011

1 - home sweet home

my first day in cape town.

i arrived in the afternoon and was driven directly to my flat. i learned that i'll be staying with only one other model so i was ecstatic! i thought i had to stay in a model house with 5 or more other models and i was seriously dreading that. i think i would have completely lost my sanity.

i met my roommate and she's from germany. gorgeous girl. she makes me feel like chopped liver, but to each her own right? her english is not the best and she has the cute german accent. it's her second time here in CT so she said she'll give me some tips. i guess i definitely lucked out.

our apartment is what i would call "cozy". it's self service meaning we have to do everything on our own: cook, clean, laundry, etc. it's fully equipped though so the first thing my roommie and i did was grocery shopping for our supper. everything is walking distance which is great. our apartment is situated less than three minute walk to the sea and everywhere you look, there's a mountain backdrop. we have a little outdoor  patio thing and everytime i look out, i smile because the mountain is right there and it's a constant reminder that i am lucky to be in such a beautiful place.

i unpacked my stuff and i realized (as well as i was told) that i brought way too much stuff. i always do this when i travel. funny thing is, i only brought one luggage. go figure.

i sufferred from a bit of jetlag. my roommie and i talked until about 1am. we were instant bffs and i know we'll get along quick.  i also know that she will get on my nerves, but this is something that i have to deal with. what's important is that she's not a bitch. for that i am grateful.

the next day we went to our agency around noon. we did some business stuff and i was told that my portfolio needs to be more "commercial". there isnt much high fashion jobs in cape town and if there is, it doesnt pay as much as commercial and catalogue work. oy vey. i hate commercial work. ive done a few back in toronto and i always dreaded going to casting calls for them because i am bound to make a fool of myself.

after the agency we did more grocery shopping and then went to the closest gym to our place which is about a 30 minute walk (less than 10 mins by taxi). the gym is called virgin active and it's right by the stadium where the 2010 world cup was held. very cool.  the gym is NICE. all high tech and i was totally impressed.

my roommie has been bugging me to go out for a drink and to party but ive managed to decline my way out of it so far. she's been here before so she knows a few locals as well as some returning models. i am not being anti-social. i just know that every move i make will cost me money and i am trying to be responsible and kind of space everything out. but at the same time im not going to deprive myself. i will live it. but ive always been the responsible one. ive done all the partying in my younger days, but having fun never gets old so you bet your bottom dollar that i will be partying it up here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment